· New York University - B.A;
· University of Colorado, Denver, MSA (Master of Science in Health Administration).
· State University of New York (SUNY Downstate Medical Center) - M.D.
POST GRADUATE MEDICAL TRAINING
· Internal Medicine Residency - The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, Maryland,
· Gastroenterology - The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, Maryland,
CERTIFICATION & ASSOCIATIONS
· State Medical License: Maryland; Florida
· Diplomate: American Board of Internal Medicine, Subspecialty Board of Gastroenterology
· Fellow: American College of Gastroenterology; American College of Physicians; American College of Physicians Executives; American Gastroenterology Association ; American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy
AUTHOR OF BOOKS & REVIEWS
· Oxford Handbook of Gastroenterology and Hepatology: Review. Perry Hookman MD, Gastroenterology September, 2007.
· Medical Malpractice Expert Witnessing: Introductory Guide for Physicians & Medical Professionals. Published 2010 by Perry Hookman MD. ISBN-13:978-1-4200-5895-6.
· Medical Expert Testimony: Advanced Syllabus for Health Care Professionals. Published 2009 by Perry Hookman MD, ISBN: 978-0-9817570-0-1
· Diagnostic Gastroenterology ─Early Detection by Pattern Recognition of Diseases, Complications & Complaints - A Memory Aid; Volumes 1, 2 & 3. Published 2015 by Perry Hookman MD ISBN: 1492113654
PEER REVIEWED PUBLICATIONS
1. Failure of Oxethazaine to Alter Acid Induced Symptoms in Patients with Esophagitis. C.I. Siegel MD, P. Hookman MD, T.R. Hendrix MD. Clinical Research 1963; 11:188, abst.
2. Abnormal Anal Sphincteric Reflex in Patients with Scleroderma. Marvin M. Schuster MD, Perry Hookman MD, Donald D. Tow MD, and Albert I. Mendeloff. MD. Journal of Clinical Investigation, 1963 421:976
3. Dysphagia Localized to the Hypopharynx and Upper Esophagus: A Cineradiographic and Manometric Study, C.I. Siegel MD, J.C. Harvey MD, P. Hookman MD, A.I.Mendeloff MD, T.R. Hendrix MD, D. Moore MD, Annals of Internal Medicine;1963 58:725.abst.
4. The Relationship of Raynaud’s Phenomenon to Aperistalsis of the Esophagus, Perry Hookman MD, Mary B. Stevens MD, Charles E. Siegel MD, John R. Esterly MD, and Thomas R. Hendrix MD. Gastroenterology, 1963; 44:833, abst.
5. Aperistalsis of the Esophagus in Patients with Connective Tissue Disorders and Raynaud’s phenomenon. Mary Betty Stevens MD, Perry Hookman MD, Charles I. Siegel MD, John R. Esterly MD, Lawrence E. Schulman MD, and Thomas R. Hendrix MD, New England Journal of Medicine, 1964; 270: 1218,
6. Sphincter Abnormality in Hyperthyroidism. J. Alva MD, P. Hookman MD, A.I. Mendel off MD, Clinical Research,3:254,1965. Abst.
7. Acid Induced Esophageal Motor Abnormalities: A Cine-Manometric Study. Perry Hookman MD, Martin L. Silbiger MD, Martin W. Donner MD, and Thomas R. Hendrix MD, Gastroenterology 1965; 48: 822.abst.
8. Simultaneous Manometric Recording of Internal and External Anal Sphincteric Reflexes, Marvin M. Schuster MD, Perry Hookman MD, Thomas R. Hendrix MD and Albert I. Mendel off MD. Bulletin of the Johns Hopkins Hospital.1965; 116:79.
9. A Comparison of Endoscopic Biopsy and Esophageal Exfoliative Cytology in Establishing the Diagnosis of Carcinoma of the Esophagus. Perry Hookman MD, Gastrointestinal Endoscopy1966; 12:29,
10. Acid Barium Swallows in the Radiographic Evaluation of Clinical Esophagitis, Martin W. Donner MD, Martin L. Silbiger MD, Perry Hookman MD, and Thomas R. Hendrix MD. Radiology; 1966 87:220,
11. Failure of Oxethazaine to Alter Acid Induced Esophageal Pain. Perry Hookman MD, Charles Siegel MD, and Thomas R. Hendrix MD, American Journal of Digestive Diseases 1966.11:811
12. Relationship of Altered Esophageal Primary Peristalsis to Acid Induced Pain: A Manometric Study. Perry Hookman MD, Gastroenterology 52:1095, 1967 abst.
13. Acid Induced Prolonged Relaxation of Lower Esophageal Sphincter. Perry Hookman MD, Clinical Research, 1967; 15:235, abst.
14. Upper G.I. Symptoms: Also Consider the Collagen Diseases. Perry Hookman MD, Consultant June 1968
15. How to Identify the Troublesome Hiatal Hernia. Perry Hookman MD, Consultant, Feb1969
16. New Techniques for Accurate Diagnosis and Management of Hiatal Hernia and Gastroesophageal Reflux. Perry Hookman MD, Medical Annals of the District of Columbia, 1969.38:243
17. Hiatal Hernia Evaluation, Perry Hookman MD, Consultant, May 1969
18. Reserpine in Reynaud’s Disease and Phenomenon. Short Term Responses to Intra-arterial Injection. James T. Willerson MD, Ronald H. Thompson MD, Perry Hookman MD, Jean Herdt MD, and John L. Decker MD, Annals of Internal Medicine.;1970.1:17
19. G.I. Manifestation of collagen Disease, Perry Hookman MD, Consultant, January 1973
20. Editorial: Crisis in Medical Education. Perry Hookman, M.D., Bulletin of the Association of Hospital Medical Education, March 1976
21. Choledocho-colonic Fistula through a Cystic Duct Remnant, V.P. Chandar MD, Perry Hookman MD. American Journal of Gastroenterology, 1980; 74:179-181.
22. Fundamentals of Internal Medicine - Book Review, Perry Hookman MD, Annals of Internal Medicine, 1983. 99:3:426
23. Affiliation with an Academic Medical Center I, Perry Hookman MD, Hosp.Topics, 1984.62:2.
24. Affiliation with an Academic Medical Center II, Perry Hookman MD, Hosp.Topics, 1984; 62:2
25. Gallbladder Carcinoma with Gastric Outlet Obstruction and Gallstone Ileus. Maximo Singer, M.D., V.P. Chandar, M.D., and Perry Hookman, M.D. Journal of the South Med Assoc, 1986.79:7.
26. Age & Gender and Type of Procedure are Independent Predictors of Arterial Oxygen Desaturation during Ambulatory Endoscopy. Perry Hookman MD, V.P. Chandar MD, A. Kenigsberg MD, M. Moran M D, M. Mondino MD, M.Thomas MD, and Robert Hirsch MD. American Journal of Gastroenterology, 1991; 86:1371, abst.
27. Arterial Oxygen Desaturation during Ambulatory Endoscopy occurs without EKG changes. Perry Hookman MD, V.P. Chandar MD, A. Kenigsberg MD, M. Moran MD, M. Mondino MD, M. Thomas MD, and Robert Hirsch MD, Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, 1992; 38:283, March/April, abst.
28. History of Medicine: Sir William Osler - Alias Edgerton Yorrick Davis: Tall Tales Told Convincingly. Perry Hookman MD, Montgomery Medicine, March 1992 p. 19-22
29. Practice Guidelines: The Second Generation of Utilization Review: How to Make it Work for the Health Service Organization, Perry Hookman MD, Perspectives in Medical Management ’92: Published by the American College of Physician Executives. 1992 p.145-146. ISBN: 0-924674-16-4
30. Pro-Active Feedback Loops in the Management of Clerical and Clinical Personnel of a Medical Group Practice, Perry Hookman MD, Perspectives in Medical Management ’92; Published by the American College of Physician Executives1992 p.19-22. ISBN: 0-924674-16-4
31. Establishing a Successful Performance Appraisal System for Health Services Organization Personnel, Perry Hookman MD, and Perspectives in Medical Management ’92; Published by the American College of Physician Executives. 1992 p.43-144. ISBN: 0-924674-16-4
32. An Outline of Possible New Anti-Managed Care Legislation in Maryland, Perry Hookman MD, The Legislative and Regulatory Climate for Managed Care, American Managed Care and Review Association’s Health Policy Forum, May 1992 p.40
33. Checklist used to justify Endoscopy problems. Models for Cost Management and Health Care Quality: Perry Hookman MD, Innovations’92; Publication of the American College of Physician Executives. Promocom Printing, Inc., Pinellas Park, Florida. May 1992. ISBN: 0-924674-1
34. Sir William Osler - Contrasts Between the Saint-like Legend and the Rough-edged Man, Perry Hookman MD, Maryland Medical Journal, 1992.41(11).997.
35. Signs of the Times: Anti-Managed Care Legislation Possibilities, Perry Hookman MD, And Physicians Practice Digest - Maryland, 1992.3(4):30.
36. Sir William Osler and the Current Trajectory of Medical Education and Health Care at American Academic Health Centers, Perry Hookman MD, Md. Med Journal, 1994.43(7)569.
37. A Comparison of the Writings of Sir William Osler and His Exemplar Sir Thomas Browne, Perry Hookman, Bulletin of the New York Academy of Medicine. 1997; 72(1):1.
38. Pancreatic sphincter hypertension increases the risk of post-ERCP Pancreatitis: Perry Hookman MD, Jamie Barkin MD, and Gastrointestinal Endoscopy. 1998.48(5):546
39. The Role of Vigorous Detection of Recurrence after Curative Resection of Colorectal Cancer, Perry Hookman MD, Jamie S. Barkin MD, the American Journal of Gastroenterology. 1998.93(12):2624.
40. The Diagnosis and Management of Unexplained Chest Pain – Is Less More? Perry Hookman MD, Jamie S. Barkin MD. The American Journal of Gastroenterology. 1999.94(8):2310
41. Maryland Medical History: Was William Osler Responsible for Gertrude Stein’s Failure to Graduate from the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine? W.J. Hookman MD, Perry Hookman MD, Md. Medical Journal 1999.48(5):220
42. Diagnosis of Acute Right Lower Quadrant Pain and Appendicitis by CT scan: Do We Still Need the Clinician? Perry Hookman MD, Jamie S. Barkin MD. The American Journal of Gastroenterology. 2000 95(5):1355.
43. Surgical complications of Fundoplication for Gastro Esophageal Reflux Disease: Perry Hookman MD, Jamie Barkin MD, The American Journal of Gastroenterology. 2000; 95(11):3305.
44. Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy Should Be Routinely Performed with Intraoperative Cholangiography. Perry Hookman MD, Stephen Unger MD, Jamie Barkin MD. The American Journal of Gastroenterology. 2000; 95(11):3299.
45. Early Diagnosis and Treatment of Hepatitis C (HCV). Richard Philips MD, Perry Hookman MD, J. Barkin MD. The American Journal of Gastroenterology.2000; 95(9):2597.Abst.
46. What should be the Standard of Care for the Surveillance of Cancer, the Diagnosis of Dysplasia, and the Decision for Colectomy in Chronic Inflammatory Bowel Disease? Perry Hookman MD, Jamie Barkin MD,The American Journal of Gastroenterology. 2002, 97(9):1249.
47. Recommendations for Greater Accuracy in the Standard of Care for the Detection of Early Barrett’s Esophageal Cancer. Perry Hookman MD, Jamie Barkin MD, The American Journal of Gastroenterology.2002; 97(9):1246
48. Systemic Autoimmune Disorders Associated With Celiac Disease (CD) A Case Report. Jason A. Slate MD, Perry Hookman MD, Richard S. Philips MD, and Jamie Barkin MD. The American Journal of Gastroenterology. 2002; 97(9):136.
49. Current Biochemical Studies of Non- Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease (NAFLD) and Non-Alcoholic Steatohepatitis (NASH) Suggests a New Therapeutic Approach. Perry Hookman MD, Jamie Barkin MD,The American Journal of Gastroenterology. 2003; 98(2):495. Published also in The American Journal of Gastroenterology.2003; 98(9):2093.
50. Update on Current Standards of Care in the Diagnosis and Management of Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease (NAFLD) and Non-Alcoholic Steatohepatitis (NASH), P. Hookman, J. Barkin, Practical Gastroenterology, 2004; 38(9):70; Part I, Diagnosis.
51. Update on Current Standards of Care in the Diagnosis and Management of Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease (NAFLD) and Non-Alcoholic Steatohepatitis (NASH), P. Hookman M.D., J. Barkin, M.D., Practical Gastroenterology, 2004; 38(10):82-. Part II Medical Therapy
52. Update on the Causes and Standards of Care for the Diagnosis and Treatment of Hepatocellular Carcinoma. N. Pyrsopoulos MD, P. Hookman MD, J. Barkin MD, Practical Gastroenterology.2005, 29(4):98
53. Systemic Autoimmune Disorders Associated with Celiac Disease. Jason Slate MD.,
Perry Hookman MD., Jamie Barkin MD, Digestive Disease &Science, Sept. 2005; 50(9):1705-7.
54. Post- Cholecystectomy Recurrent Acute Pancreatitis Secondary to Sump Syndrome .V. Cabon P. Hookman MD. J. Barkin MD., the American Journal of Gastroenterology.Sept.2005; 100 (8):236
55. Guidelines for Prevention, Surveillance, Diagnosis, & Treatment, and, in this New Era of More Virulent Strains of Antibiotic Associated Diarrhea (AAD), C. difficile associated Diseases/Diarrhea (CDAD) and C. difficile Colitis(CDAC) P. Hookman,., J. Barkin, 6/2006. Practical Gastroenterology p.65
56. C. difficile Associated Disorders/Diarrhea (CDAD) and C. Difficile Colitis (CDAC): The Emergence of a More Virulent Era. Perry Hookman MD., Jamie Barkin MD Digestive Diseases & Sciences. 2007; 52(3) (online); print edition: 2007; 52(4):1071- ISSN 0163-2116.
57. Multicenter Medical Malpractice Risk Reduction Study For Medical Students, Trainees & Practicing Physicians Using Short Burst [SBS] E-Mailed Seminars. P. Hookman, G. Weinberg, M. Pato, R. Gelfand, B. Rosof J. Barkin American Journal of Gastroenterology. 2008.103[S 211]:Abst.546
58. C. difficile Associated Infection, Diarrhea, and Colitis. P. Hookman, J. Barkin World Journal of Gastroenterology 2009; 15(13): 1554-1580
59. Recommendations for C.difficile Infection (CDI) Treatment and Control. P. Hookman, J. Barkin Practical Gastroenterology. 2009. 33(11):14-20
60. Testifying as a Medical Expert Witness. P. Hookman, the Journal of Medical Management. 2011. 37(2):30-33.
61. Victorian origins of William Osler’s Philo-Semitism. Proc. Baylor Univ. Med Cent 2011; 24(4):1-4
62. C. difficile Appendicitis: An Overlooked Entity: Case Report and Review of the Literature. S. Strobel M.D., P. Hookman, M.D.J. Barkin M.D. The American Journal of Gastroenterology; 2012, 107: Supplement 1:S461
63. Use of Chromendoscopy for Increased Detection of Polyps Not Visualized by White Light Endoscopy in Patients with Familial Adenomatous Polyposis [PAP]. P. Hookman, J. Barkin. The American Journal Gastroenterology 2013.108: Supplement 1:S463
ORDER OF THE KNIGHTS OF ST. ANDREW OF THE GREEK ORTHODOX CHURCH.Knighted by Archbishop Iakovos of the Greek Orthodox Church of North and South America for PROMOTION OF INTER-RELIGIOUS ACTIVITIES.
Prince George’s County Health & Welfare Council ANNUAL AWARD TO A PHYSICIAN FOR EXCELLENCE IN COMMUNITY SERVICES AND IN RECOGNITION FOR A MAJOR CONTRIBUTION FOR SIGNIFICANT IMPROVEMENT IN THE QUALITY OF HEALTH CARE ”
Physician of the Year Medal FOR MAJOR CONTRIBUTIONS IN THE FIELD OF EDUCATION OF THE FOREIGN MEDICAL GRADUATE IN THE UNITED STATES, Awarded by the Philippine Medical Association of the U.S.A.
Annual Award of Merit: United Jewish Appeal Federation of Greater Washington; “FOR OUTSTANDING ACHIEVEMENT AND SERVICE TO THE JEWISH COMMUNITY.”
Senate of Maryland Resolution SR-1255 “IN RECOGNITION OF THE CONTRIBUTIONS OF PERRY HOOKMAN, M.D.
”Lamplighter Annual Award, “IN RECOGNITION TO PERRY HOOKMAN, M.D. FOR HIS COMMUNITY LEADERSHIP AND DEVOTED HUMANITARIAN EFFORTS,” by the Friends of Lubavitch,
American Gastroenterology Association Fellowship of American Gastroenterology Association [AGAF] Membership. “AWARDED FOR OUTSTANDING CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE FIELD OF GASTROENTEROLOGY & SUPERIOR PROFESSIONAL ACHIEVEMENTS IN CLINICAL PRACTICE & RESEARCH.”
Return to the Perry Hookman, M.D., P.A. Home Page